SORRY, WE DO NOT OFFER HORSES OUT TO RENT FOR TRAIL RIDES.
PAYMENT IS DUE THE DAY OF THE LESSON UNLESS PAID IN ADVANCE. CASH OR CHECK ONLY, NO CREDIT CARDS PLEASE.
Email us for scheduling and availability
Lessons are offered in either English or Western disciplines and the goal of instruction is to provide the foundation for a lifetime of horsemanship. The cost of a one-hour private lesson varies. You decide when and how many lessons are right for you. Lessons involve total horsemanship, not just riding. Lessons are $65.00 per hour.
The following are the basics of what is covered in the beginner level lessons:
- Fundamentals of horsemanship
- Horse safety
- Grooming & Tacking your horse
- Types of tack and how to use it
The first lesson will involve an evaluation of the student and will focus on building a strong foundation. The student will learn how to groom & tack a horse. The remainder of the lesson will cover proper mounting, correct positioning and riding at a walk. Further lessons will review ground handling and will then progress to riding at a trot/jog, and then at a canter/lope. Lessons will focus on proper form, position and balance. Students will progress at their own individual level. Lessons will proceed to more advanced riding as the student becomes more proficient.
- Footwear: Courtesy Stable recommends all students wear hard-soled shoe with a heel at all times while working around and riding horses.
- Helmets: All students must wear a riding helmet at all times when mounted. Courtesy Stable recommends all riders purchase and wear a riding helmet with a full harness and chin strap. If you do not have your own helmet, we will provide the use of a helmet for you.
- Children students under the age of 15 must be accompanied by a parent or responsible guardian at all times while on Courtesy Stable premises. Adults must remain during the duration of the lesson.
- NO SMOKING in or around the barn
- PETS: Please leave your pets at home
Our horses are capable of handling riders 180 lbs or less
Click here to read a letter from the Girl Scout Troop after attending one of our previous Barn Days.
Barn Days can include one or more of the following:
- Live your day in the Life of a Horse!
- Equine Nutrition: Feeding, what & how much; Vitamins & Supplements.
- Equine Health: Shoeing, Vaccinations, Worming & Dental
- Behind the Stalls: Tour of the Premises from a Mucker's Point of View
- "Get Ready to Ride!": Grooming & Tacking
- Different kinds of Tack
- Western or English Dressage or Hunter/Jumper
- Mini Lesson: Free Courtesy Stable T-Shirt & a picture for your scrapbook
Refreshments served. EMAIL the barnmanager for scheduling and availability. Cost is $50.00 per person. Discounts available for groups. Approximate time is 2 - 3 hours, depending on the number of people.